Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Creme Brulee' French Toast.

I was browsing through my family's facebook pages and found this wonderful recipe from our niece. This is what she has posted. Well, tomorrow breakfast looks to have appeared tonight. I can't wait to try it so thought that I would share it here. Perhaps I won't lose the recipe that way.

Creme Brulee' French Toast
Note: This is not pretty. People look at it and say, "Ew." But it tastes really, really good.

This recipe works best when made with bake & serve baguettes, but I've also used everything from french bread to hoagie rolls, whatever you can find. I cut them in slices three fingers wide (because it's easy to keep them uniform if you measure using your own fingers). Do not use the ends, of course.

1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 T corn syrup
2 long baguettes
5 large eggs
1 1/2 cups half-and-half
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt

In heavy saucepan melt butter with brown sugar and corn syrup over moderate heat, stirring until smooth and bubbly. Pour into a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan. Place cut slices of baguette over the caramel, fitting slices snugly together in one layer.

In a bowl whisk together eggs, half-and-half, vanilla, and salt until well combined and pour over bread. Cover and chill overnight. Don't skip this step, it won't be as good if you try to hurry it along.

In the morning, remove the pans from the refrigerator and bring to room temperature. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake uncovered in the middle of the oven until puffed and edges are pale golden, 35 to 40 minutes. Your kitchen will smell heavenly. Serve immediately, flipping each slice upside down on the plate so the caramel is on top.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I'm going to have to make this! I am having sooo much fun at my daughters. This would be a great breakfast for them!

    ReplyDelete