Monday, March 8, 2010

Wonderful Dinner!

Today was a very hectic and chaotic day for me. I know that we have all had one similar. Well, when I got up I looked through a cookbook and then decided I really wanted to fix some cabbage soup in the crockpot. I opened the refridgerator and got out the ingredients I had and placed on the counter and began cutting up my cabbage,and carrots. When the "Paddi", one of our shitzu dogs came into the kitchen with her legs crossed, so I let her outside and the cat darted in the house. I followed the dog outside to watch her so she doesn't go visiting the neighbors. When she completed her business, I returned inside the house and the cat was at the doorway to the basement staircase, I nudged her to take her first step down the steps and she trotted on downstairs to the family room. I closed the basement door on her and returned to chopping vegetables for my soup. Then I hear the cat knocking on the door, so I open the door and she comes up whining to eat. I recently moved all the cat and dog food to the basement, so I went downstairs and opened a can of catfood for the cat and put it up high on a low shelf so the dog didnt' get it, since she was now at my feet as well, sniffing the aroma of salmon. I saw that I had left my computer on from the night before, so I go sit down at the computer to finish what I had got called away from last night. Then I recieve a phone call from my mother asking if I will take her to the store to get somethings that she needs. She will put her coat on if I go right up. I agree, and I return upstairs to get my coat and I see my vegetables still on the counter waiting to go into the crockpot.
AARRGGH!!!! So, quickly, I chop the remaining ingredients and toss it in the crockpot and run out the door to help my mother.

Tonight, when I returned home to smell the dinner ready and waiting was so wonderful!
It was absolutely delicious as well! I made it different today than I usually do, because I didnt' have any stew meat, which I usually use. Today in place of that I used ground beef and sausage... Oh how wonderful this was! I may never go back to using the stew meat.
So, here is my recipe.. I do not cook alot by measurements, I eyeball things alot.
So if that works for anyone this is what I did.

Cabbage Soup
3 carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
5 stems & springs fresh celantro , chopped
1/2 head cabbage chopped bite size
1/4 lb hamburger , just picked into small pieces and placed in the crockpot raw.
1/3 package of Jimmy Deans Italian sausage
1 can swansons chicken broth
1 quart canned tomatoes from my food storage
1 tsp garlic powder,
salt and Pepper to taste

I cooked it on high in my crockpot and it was done when I came home after 3 hrs.

It was so good!! I love vegetables! Even my husband who doesn't really enjoy vegetables ate all his dinner. There was just "enough" and wasn't anything left over! Love it when that happens!

1 comment: